When You Need Heating System Maintenance
Being a homeowner means being responsible for a lot of things, specifically household appliances. One appliance no homeowner wants to be without is their heating unit or furnace, especially during those Southern Illinois winters. Gold Shield Services Inc has provided heating system maintenance to our community for 12 years. We are experts in our field, so we are ready and willing to answer any questions you may have about heating maintenance services. Contact us at (847) 553-4691
Importance of Heating Maintenance
As a homeowner, it is your responsibility to keep up with any and all general maintenance within your home. That being said, maintaining your HVAC and furnace are not simple tasks. Having an expert technician come out to inspect and maintain your furnace is highly recommended. By doing so you will see many benefits including:
- Less energy output: Regular maintenance on your furnace means that it won’t have to work as hard to heat your home during the colder seasons.
- Improved air quality: Staying on top of replacing air filters and cleaning air-ducts means that the air in your home will be cleaner and safer for your family.
- Increased lifespan: Maintaining a furnace or HVAC means that you’ll be able to own it longer, without it falling apart before it’s estimated end of use.
It is recommended to have someone come out at least twice a year: once in the spring and once in the fall. This would be to check and provide maintenance heating and cooling to your furnace and HVAC units. Now we know, furnaces and HVAC aren’t cheap. We provide cooling and heating maintenance services, as well as heating maintenance plans, to help you protect your investment. Not keeping up with the maintenance can result in:
- Higher energy bills
- Premature system failures
- Inconsistent and/or unreliable heating throughout home
- Safety and health concerns
While it can seem like a lot of money over time, at Gold Shield Services Inc, we do provide competitive pricing and plans. Our technicians go through to inspect everything. Just as a plumber would make sure the piping is set up properly, a Gold Shield Services Inc representative will make sure all the moving parts of your furnace are working correctly and repair or replace anything that isn’t.
Heating Maintenance Checklist
Before reaching out to a technician, there are a few things you can do ahead of time to check your heating and cooling systems. Start by just looking at vents and air duct openings for build up. Check and dust around your furnace for a buildup of dust or other items. You can also perform what is called a thermostat check.
Thermostat Check: this is a simple test to perform, ahead of scheduled maintenance, to help you and a technician narrow down what could be causing a heating or cooling issue within your home. To do this all you have to do is:
- Turn your thermostat up and listen for your furnace to turn on. If you hear it activate, then continue to run for a few minutes without turning off, then your thermostat works fine.
- If your thermostat turns off after a short period of time, you could be dealing with something called short-cycling. This just means your thermostat may need to be recalibrated or you have an overheated exchanger.
If it seems like the issue may be a little more than just a thermostat issue, then you can have a checklist ready for a technician when they come to perform a scheduled maintenance.
- Check the filters
- Have the ducts inspected for build up
- Have the ducts cleaned
- Clean soot from combustion chamber
- Inspect the blower belt
- Clean the blower belt
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should you have your heating system checked?
At least once a year, but ideally, it is recommended to have it checked twice a year. Once in the spring and once in the fall.
How often should a furnace be serviced?
Like any heating or cooling system, it is recommended to have it serviced twice a year.
How do you service a forced-air furnace?
By having a thorough inspection and cleaning of the duct work and all the moving parts that incorporate the furnace.
Why is my heater blowing cold air in my house?
It could be due to several factors. Your thermostat may need to be recalibrated if it’s set to an appropriate temperature, but still blowing cold air. It could also be because of build-up in the air ducts.
Call to speak with a representative today at (847) 553-4691 for any heating system maintenance in the Des Plaines, IL. Our competitive pricing and expert technicians make Gold Shield Services Inc the best people to help you with any needed maintenance, heating